The selection is there, the prices are right, and you can get a great sense of satisfaction in knowing you are doing something real to support your community. Spending locally helps to pay the salaries of employees who then turn around and pay mortgages and buy food, clothing and gasoline. That dollar can also help pay the property tax or the retail sales tax that helps fund our schools and build our roads. That extra dollar can help your merchant increase the variety of their inventory and lower their costs, thereby providing a better shopping experience for you. O’Brien County Economic Development strongly encourages everyone to support our local merchants this holiday season, and all year long.
Small Biz Survival has compiled the following list.
Top Ten Reasons to Shop Local
10. Local stores are more likely to carry locally produced foods which supports local agriculture.
9. Local business owners contribute to more local fundraising and 501(c)3’s.
8. Local businesses provide a majority of jobs.
7. Local businesses support other local businesses.
6. The business community becomes reflective of this community’s unique culture.
5. The sales taxes I pay support this community and county: fixing my roads, maintaining my recreational facilities, . . .
4. Competition and diversity result in fair prices and more choices.
3. Shopping local reduces my carbon footprint.
2. Local business owners invest in the community and have a vested interest in the future of this community.
1. My hometown is most important!